On June 18, 2012, the main draw of the 17th LG Cup began in Korea.
The LG Cup
The LG Cup is a major international Go tournament.
It started in 1996 and the prize money is currently 250 million Won.
The main draw of 32 players is part invitational, comprising of 5 Korean players, 5 Chinese players, 4 Japanese players, 1 Taiwanese player and including the previous year’s winner and runner up.
The rest of the main draw is determined through a preliminary tournament. The format is single knockout, with the final played as a best of 3 games.
The tournament is sponsored by LG Electronics, a multinational consumer electronics company whose headquarters are in South Korea.
An interesting line up
Another interesting match to watch was the one between two promising teenagers – Korea’s Na Hyun 2p and China’s recent BC Card Cup runner up, Dang Yifei 4p.
Unfortunately for Japan, all of their players were knocked out in the first round.
Two of Japan’s strongest players, Iyama Yuta 9p and Yamashita Keigo 9p are currently contesting the Honinbo title match in Japan. Game 4 of the Honinbo started today and the score is currently 2-1 in Iyama’s favor.
LG Cup round of 32 full results
- Won Seongjin 9p defeated Tan Xiao 7p
- Choi Kihoon 9p defeated Niu Yutian 7p
- Jiang Weijie 9p defeated Cho U 9p
- Na Hyun 2p defeated Dang Yifei 4p
- Lee Younggu 9p defeated Li Xuanhao 3p
- Kang Dongyun 9p defeated Meng Tailing 6p
- Peng Liyao 5p defeated Sakai Hideyuki 9p
- Park Junghwan 9p defeated Chun Guangya 6p
- Choi Cheolhan 9p defeated Xie He 9p
- Shi Yue 5p defeated Yuki Satoshi 9p
- Li Kang 6p defeated Yoda Norimoto 9p
- Xiao Zhenghao 7p defeated Zhou Heyang 9p
- Lian Xiao 4p defeated Piao Wenyao 9p
- Lee Changho 9p defeated Liu Xing 7p
- Gu Li 9p defeated Park Seonghwa 5p
Watch the LG Cup live
The round of 16 will be played in two days on June 20, 2012. Watch the games here at Go Game Guru on Baduk TV Live.
The official coverage starts at:
- 1:00pm Korean Standard Time, Wednesday June 20
- 6:00am Central European Summer Time, Wednesday June 20
- 4:00am Greenwich Mean Time, Wednesday June 20 (adjust for European Summer Time)
- 12:00am US Eastern Daylight Saving Time, Wednesday June 20.
See the Baduk TV Guide for more details.