Kim now joins the other quarter finalists; Park Junghwan 9p, Lee Sedol 9p, Kim Jiseok 7p, Kang Dongyun 9p and Heo Youngho 9p, who defeated Park Jungsang 9p, Kim Junghyun 3p, Baek Hongseok 8p, Mok Jinseok 9p and Kim Seongjae 4p respectively.
About the Olleh KT Cup
The Olleh KT Cup is a televised tournament in which the top 100 Korean professionals compete. The winner of last year’s inaugural tournament was Lee Sedol.
The sponsor, Olleh KT, is a Korean Telecommunications company. They’re ostensibly called ‘Olleh’ because it spells ‘hello’ backwards . And I suppose the word ‘hello’ spells communication.
How the Olleh KT Cup preliminary tournament works
There are several preliminary rounds, leading up to a final knockout tournament with a best of 5 games final. The preliminary rounds are rather convoluted, like other Korean tournaments (such as the Samsung Cup).
Here’s how it works:
1. The top 100 players are seeded by current ranking.
2. The bottom players 48 are paired in a knockout round. 24 players progress and the losers are eliminated.
3. The 24 winners from the first round are paired against the next 24 lowest seeded players. Once again, only 24 proceed.
4. The draw is folded, pitting the 24 players who’ve survived so far against one another. 12 players will progress. The top 28 players haven’t played any games so far.
5. The 12 players who’ve made it through are paired against the next 12 players (from the group of 28), once again in a knockout. The top 16 players still haven’t played.
6. Seeds 5 to 16 enter the knockout to compete with the 12 players who won the last round. The 12 who win progress to the round of 16.
7. Round of 16: The top 4 seeded enter the pool, along with the remaining 12 from the last round. 8 players progress to the quarter finals.
8. Quarter finals.
9. Semi finals.
10. Final – best of 5 games.
Get ready for the quarter finals
The next round is the quarter finals, where the top Korean pros will be pitted against one another on live TV!
Until next time then. You say goodbye and I say hello!