This event will almost certainly be the most popular and exciting match of 2014.
These two players have been the top two in the world over the last 10 years, and their head to head record before the match stood at 17-1-16 in Gu Li’s favor (with one draw).
Among those 34 official games, there have already been many exciting and spectacular contests between these two players.
Gu Li and Lee Sedol in good form
Even though they both lost in the finals of international tournaments in 2013, They both took domestic titles just before starting this match in 2014.
Internationally, in 2013, Gu Li was defeated by Mi Yuting 9p in the 1st MLily Cup final and Lee Sedol was defeated by Chen Yaoye 9p and Tang Weixing 9p in the 9th Chunlan Cup and 2013 Samsung Cup finals respectively.
It’s very hard to guess who will win this jubango, but it’s surely a special gift for Go fans to be able to watch these two play a series of high quality games together.
A Go book about this match
Over the last few years, many readers have emailed us and suggested that we should publish a Go book of my game commentaries.
We’ve been too busy to do so up until now, but this match is special, so we’ve decided that our first Go book will be about Lee Sedol and Gu Li’s jubango.
In order to make the book special, we’ll add extended discussion on the opening of each game and modern fuseki, as well as extra variations to make the games understandable to players of all levels. So the book will contain even more commentary than you usually see in my game commentaries on our website.
Help us to make the book as good as possible!
Please help us to make our first Go book as good as possible. There are several ways you can help us to improve the commentary below:
- Ask questions about the game – if anything is unclear, please let us know so we can explain it better!
- Point out any mistakes, even minor typos – our first draft is below, because this is going to be a book, even small mistakes need to be fixed.
- Help us come up with a great name! The first thing we came up with was Inimitable: Gu Li vs Lee Sedol – unfortunately, we think it sounds too much like Invincible. Your suggestions are most welcome and if we choose to use the name you come up with, I’ll send you a signed copy of the first edition.
- Tell your friends and ask them to help too.
We appreciate all your help and hope that we’ll be able to make a great book together. Here’s the official page for the Lee Sedol vs Gu Li Go book.
Now let’s have a look at the game!
Commented game record
Lee Sedol vs Gu Li – Game 1
GGG readers have translated this commentary!
The Go community has translated this commentary into the following languages (click the links below to download them):
- Français: Lee Sedol et Gu Li Jubango – Partie 1, par Siméon Girousse
Send us your translation and we’ll post it here too. Thank you!