Game 4 was held on Jeungdo (Jeung Island) in Shinan County, near Lee Sedol’s hometown, and was the first and only game scheduled in Korea.
Before the game, the players paid their respects to the hundreds who died when a ferry tragically capsized on April 16.
The ferry incident occurred near the venue for this match.
Gu Li extends his streak to 4 in a row
Go fans who like to follow the Lee Sedol – Gu Li rivalry will already know that this is Gu’s fourth consecutive victory against Lee in the last two months.
Lee will be wanting to dismiss these consecutive losses from his mind and focus all his energy on winning the next game, to stop Gu from making off like a runaway train.
However, anyone who’s played Go competitively will know that this is easier said than done.
Game 5 will be held in Yunnan Province, China, and is shaping up to be a crucial turning point in the match.
An Younggil’s preliminary comments
Go Game Guru’s An Younggil 8p is in Korea at the moment, and reviewed the game live with other pros. Here are their preliminary comments, which Younggil kindly sent through for GGG readers:
(Note: you can download the game record or scroll down to view the game online and follow along with these comments)
Gu Li started the game with the Micro Chinese Opening.
White’s approach from the side, at 8, has been getting more popular recently.
White 10 was unusual. Approaching at 14 is more common in this position, but Lee chose this move instead.
It looks like both players had researched this pattern before the game. The result up to 27 is playable for both.
Black 37 and 39 were good tesuji, and the game was still even up to Black 49.
Black 57 and 59 formed a nice combination, but White 58 and 60 were good responses.
White 66 was very sharp, and the result up to here was favorable for White.
White 72 and 74 were practical moves, and Lee might have thought that the game was good for White at this point.
White 76 was somewhat questionable, and the game became more or less even again here. White should have played at 87 instead.
White 82 was also a mistake. White should still have played at 87. Lee must felt that the game was still alright for him, but Black 83 was sharp, and Black 85 and 87 were very big. Those moves helped Black’s top group and also aimed to cut at M17.
White 88 doesn’t look good either. Black was happy to reinforce the corner territory with Black 89.
Black 113 was a brilliant move, and the game became slightly favorable for Black. The game was still very close, but Black was slightly better after Black 121.
Black 167 was the finishing blow, and the game was practically over here. If white connects at 173, Black will cut at 172, and he’ll be able to gain some more endgame points by squeezing.
Up to Black 179, Black was winning the game by around 2.5 points, so Lee Sedol resigned.
Nearly 90% chance of 9 games or more
Given that each player has already won two games, and that they need to win six games to win the match, we can do some crude calculations about how many games we can expect to see from here.
We have to assume that, in each game between these two, each player has a 50% chance of winning. In other words, that each game is like a coin toss.
Based on these assumptions, there’s roughly a 12.5% chance that one player will win the next four games and that the match will end after just eight games. This means there’s something like an 87.5% chance that we’ll see nine games or more.
The probability that the match will end at nine games is about 50% and the chance of ten games at this point is about 37.5%.
Of course, this is a gross oversimplification which doesn’t take player psychology, health and other external factors into consideration. Go games aren’t really like coin tosses (which is what makes this crude), but it does provide some approximate numbers and should be reassuring to those of us hoping for nine or ten games.
The MLily Gu vs Lee Jubango
Two of the world’s top Go players, Lee Sedol and Gu Li, will play a jubango throughout 2014, to decide which of them is the stronger player.
A jubango is a 10 game match between two players. The term originates from the Japanese language and has been imported into English language Go parlance. The first player to win six games wins the match.
Gu Li vs Lee Sedol – Game 4
David Ormerod, with Younggil An and Jingning Xue